Sunday, October 31, 2010

DRAW ME NEARER

Today at Mass, during the consecration of the host, this old hymn began singing itself in my head. These hymns often pop into my head during the consecration of the host. It is one way I know a miracle is happening.

A beautiful, simple hymn:

I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith
And be closer drawn to Thee.

Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side.

Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the pow’r of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.

I remembered on the way home that a version of this hymn is sung in the movie "Bella" as the young protagonist understands what he must do.

If you haven't seen the movie, rent it. Beautiful. The hymn is a perfect fit.

Speaking of wonderful hymns, listen to this, by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. You may remember them from Paul Simon's "Graceland" album.






"The Lord bless you, and keep you. The Lord make his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace." Numbers 6:22-27.

1 comment:

  1. A special song for me too - Draw me nearer. Music has always been a powerful, miraculous experience in my life. A little bit of heaven.

    ReplyDelete