Sunday, November 4, 2012

LITTLE THIINGS ARE BIG

I ran across a quote from St. Francis de Sales yesterday that struck me as a profound statement of a basic truth.

Every moment comes to us pregnant with a command from God, 
only to pass on and plunge into eternity, 
there to remain forever what we have made it.


It is easy to get caught up in the great tumult that surrounds a Presidential election, but the truth is that for all the sturm und drang life's great river will roll down to the sea in its own time, no matter who is elected.  My election prediction is that after November 6, 2012, human kindness will still be in much demand and human folly in copious supply.

I recommend taking a "long" position in kindness and "shorting" folly.  It's a high percentage play.  See the link for more on the financial lingo. 

This is not to denigrate the gravity of making a choice about who will be our President.  In our Republic, we generally get exactly the politicians we want and deserve, which seems a horrible thing to say, but is entirely true.  Politicians tend to be a very accurate reflection of our own weakness and folly, as well as our strengths.

Here's a quote from Jesus of Nazareth about how we might make better use of the moments that are plunging into eternity, there to remain forever what we have made them. 

Think of these words as Jesus' "platform," except that He is not running for office and He really means what He says.  His words are true and filled with inexorable power.  Pretty heady stuff.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
     for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
     for they will be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
     for they will inherit the land.

Blessed are they who hunger 
and thirst for righteousness,
     for they will be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
     for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are the clean of heart,
     for they will see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
     for they will be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted 
for the sake of righteousness,
     for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you
and utter every kind of evil against you because of me.
     Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.
     Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.


5 comments:

  1. Frankly, I am at a lost to explain why this election appears as close as it does, nor can I speculate as to the consequences of such a shap partisan divide or what it all means for us going forward. I fear for our nation but, one thing I know, when I wake up Wednesday morning to hopefully find out who will lead this nation as President for the next four years, regardless of who that man is, he will still be under the authority of, and subject to, the will of the King of Kings who thankfully, I can say with all confidence - is an immediate family member of mine. In other words, I expect I'll be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished watching the movie "A Man For All Seasons" about the life of Sir Thomas More. He was surely a saint long before he was canonized in 1935. I say that though he was a lawyer where ethical struggles are perhaps more difficult than in many professions. I would rate him right up there with Francis de Sales in pithy wisdom. SRF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am grateful that I learned 27 years ago that my hope is in God alone and to trust no man, no matter how well intentioned, to that particular throne. I vote my conscience, and hope for the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear you're all remembering there is an election. I was wondering if you might forget or something...life is so busy. (Sometimes I wonder if we're having the election over here or it's you).
    It's just as well Jesus wasn't subject to a democratic process. One wonders how he would have got on. I think the money changers incident in the temple would have sunk Him. All that talk of vipers and hypocrites would have to have been edited out for the Prime Time editions.

    ReplyDelete