Friday, May 20, 2011

HAPPY!

What makes the Eternal Optimist happy? Contrary to popular myth, EO leads a blessed and happy life.

Nevertheless, this is a legitimate question, because EO can be cranky sometimes, especially when people are being evil or spending his money.

Portrait of Sir Winston Feeling Cranky.

In no particular order, some happy making things:

Mrs. EO. Say no more.

The EO children. Wonderful! They argue and make each other laugh and tell very funny stories and talk fast and furious. Hilarious when they are all together. I know how much they make me happy by how much I miss them now that the older ones are grown up and far away. The ones still with me console me with their kind hearts.

Mass. I converted in 2003. I am still amazed and moved.

Music. Buckwheat Zydeco, Alison Krauss, Bruce Springsteen, Bela Fleck, Dylan, Steely Dan, Beethoven, Talking Heads, Mozart, Hillsongs, Graceland, Marc Knopfler, Little Feat, The Band, Fanny J. Crosby, St. Thomas Aquinas . . . okay, okay.

Buckwheat Zydeco.
Image Credit.

Chimay Blue. Delicious Belgian ale made by Trappist monks. EO has one (possibly two) on the weekend, along with the next item.


One H. Upmann cigar.

Riding The Bike. Definitely before the Chimay and H. Upmann, on Saturdays. EO got a nice bike awhile back. Makes me happy being out for a long time peddling hard.

"Lord of the Rings."

The books of Isaiah, Psalms, John and Hebrews.

Watching the Masters. I could really do without the jacket ceremony at the end, though. It's always uncomfortably weird.

Watching Barcelona play soccer. My dream is watching them play Real Madrid at Camp Nou. Good luck with that.


Camp Nou, Barcelona, Catalonia.
Image Credit.

Almost anything by P.J. O'Rourke.

"What Maisie Knew," by Henry James.

"Groundhog Day." Over and over.

Dennis Miller.

Chris Farley, RIP.

Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker.
Image Credit.

"On Bullshit," by Harry G. Frankfurt. A marvelous book of philosophy analyzing the difference between lying and pure . . . well, no need to wallow in it.

"The Quiet Man." With all the nieces and nephews gathered around on St. Patrick's Day. All of them mouthing the lines. Of course everyone's favorite is the fight scene.

"Stuart Saves His Family." There are so many scenes in this movie that are pure genius, but I particularly cherish the intervention.

Spaghetti and Pesto. I think my work here is done. I am HUNGRY!


Spaghetti, Prawns, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Pesto.
Image Credit.

5 comments:

  1. Coming across a story like this:

    Family finds $45,000 in new home — then returns it

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110520/ap_on_fe_st/us_found_money

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in a great mood as a result of spending 110 seconds reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. EO does seem to be awesome. I wish we could be neighbors...

    And we all must be kindred spirits because *we* watch The Quiet Man every St. Patrick's Day too! And we know all the lines! "here's a stick to beat the lovely lady with." "When I drinks whiskey, I drinks whiskey..." "Is it a bed or a parade ground?" "It's your in-laws, squire darlin'"..."See that road up there? Well, don't take it, it'll do you no good!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Homeric!"
    "Put him down in the book!"
    "Ye little squint!"
    "No patty-fingers, if you please!"
    "Well, I can't say its true, but I won't say it's not."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the news story about the couple that found $45,000 in cash in the attic of their new home and gave it to the sellers, the children of a an old man who had recently died. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete